Monday, January 25, 2010

Tricker's, I Met You in Yokohama...

Tricker's...it was Japan where we first met, Yokohama actually. On the third floor of the Okadaya More's Department Store, walking with Joyce and we happened to pass by. 


It all started with just our general observations about fashion and style in Japan. My personal tastes lead me to spot more streetwear designs, while Joyce would hint at clean "dapper" looks that I should also consider. Mind you, I had my phases growing up, where I was trying to be "prep" or well-dressed on a daily basis. I just started to drift away from that is all. Found my way back to my love for sneakers among other things. Fortunately, I was sharing the same sentiments as Joyce when we first spotted that "Brogue"/country-western styled boot on the trains in Japan. Imagine a man, clean and trim, in cream colored khakis with a slight break, fitted wool peacoat in a dark camel buttoned up, similarly toned driver's cap, contrasting forest green scarf, thick black framed glasses, and of course the "cherry on top", a pair of rich cognac colored boots sharing that "Brogue"/western style. I couldn't confirm if they were Tricker's, but they looked amazing nonetheless. 

We found these in REAL SCOPE at the More's shopping center. That was the store that continued the venture into further research about this style of boot. Unfortunately, being on a budget while vacationing in Japan prevented me from adding these meticulously hand-crafted marvels to the shoe collection. 


"In 1829 Joseph Tricker, master shoemaker, founded the company R.E. Tricker Ltd and five generations later his family continue to apply the same traditional crafts and skills in the production of the world renowned “Tricker’s” shoes." - Trickers.com 

That fact above alone, is more than enough reason for me to consider a pair of these one day. Not only am I completely intrigued by the fine detail and style of these boots. Tricker's, who produces a boot in that style has been doing so for nearly 200 years. They're quite well known for being one of the oldest English hand and bench made shoes in the world. Honestly, being that I'm not fully aware of all quality hand-crafted footwear (the closest thing I've had on my feet are Mephistos, which are pretty amazing as is), this shoemaker is certainly going to be on my list. 

Most recently, BLACKHIST by DIAFVINE is collaborating with Tricker's to produce a special edition boot from their existing line, the Brogue Country Boot.


"Outfitted in a tonal black colorway, the boots take on a premium pebbled leather upper juxtaposed nicely against sleek black leather. Brogue detailing throughout and a two-tone outsole set the design off perfectly. Retailing for $777 USD, the boots are now available at the DIAF webstore." - Hypebeast


via Hypebeast: BLACKHIST by DIAFVINE x Tricker's Brogue Country Boots
via REALSCOPE - Tricker's
via Tricker's
additional images: wikimedia commons - okadaya more's yokohama, S.I.T.A

1 comment:

  1. drool. trickers makes me wish i had been born a man. but then that means we wouldn't be dating. so i guess my consolation prize would be for you to one day own a pair of these.

    ReplyDelete