Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Ronnie Pirovino’s Massive KAWS Collection

Previewed back in May, here's a collection of photos from Pirovino's amazing Kaws collection...



"With the help of Brandon Shigeta, Ronnie Pirovino has documented a large portion of his KAWS collection, what is believed to be amongst the most complete in the world. We caught up with Ronnie to discuss why/how he’s come to build it over the years; what his future plans for it are, etc.

Have you always been a collector?
When I was around eight or nine, I started collecting stamps, as my father did around my age. From there, I moved to Garbage Pail Kids, then NFL player cards. From late high-school to post-college in the late 90’s, I didn’t collect anything. But I had studied art history, so my interest had been kindling. It was 2003 when I started collecting art. Seeing the Warhol retrospective at MOCA (LA) was pivotal. I was amazed to see so many of the pieces in the show belonged to private collectors. The notion of building a collection of art started to enter my mind and I came across KAWS’ work right around that time. I started collecting a lot of the artists that drew my attention, including Barry McGee, Andrew Schoultz, Marcel Dzama, etc..." - High Snobiety

via High Snobiety

No comments:

Post a Comment